TENs hire for Labour?
£22 for our 6 week inclusive hire.
The Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation (TENS) machine uses a small battery operated unit to provide a non-invasive and drug free method of helping to control labour pain. At the onset of labour, simply apply the four pads to your back as shown in the accompanying instructions and switch the TENS machine on. You will feel a pleasant pulsing sensation. This will help to raise the level of your own pain relieving chemicals known as endorphins. When experiencing a contraction, press the booster button for the extra surge of power needed to combat the pain. When the contraction ends, press the booster button again – it is that simple! The Labour TENS can be an effective technique for pain relief in over 80% of births with no side effects for mum or baby.
Evidence shows that to achieve the best results the TENS should be used from the onset of labour. In order to build up endorphins (the body’s natural pain relievers) the TENS needs to be in place for at least 60 minutes before the full effectiveness can be felt.
How do I hire a TENs:
Please give us a call on: 01455 441036 and we can arrange delivery to your home in time for your 37th week of pregnancy.
Alternatively we have TENs machines available to hire directly from any of our venues so you can pop in and collect.
When should I hire a TENs machine?
We would recommend you organise the hire of your machine in your 35/36th week of pregnancy to ensure delivery is in time for your 37th week of pregnancy. If you decide past this timeframe then give us a call and we can arrange immediate delivery for a small extra charge.
Whats included in the hire?
- Obi labour TENS unit with digital display
- Booster button
- Neck strap for ease of carrying
- 4 large 100mm x 50mm electrode pads. Brand new & sealed. The best size for labour. Re-usable, fine to test machine & use in labour, no practice pads needed.
- x2 AAA batteries (brand new & sealed, These will last 10-12 hours)
- Delivery postage
- Free return postage (Freepost mailing envelope included, many hire services do not offer this)
- Optional Guaranteed Next Day Delivery at extra cost.
When should I stop using or remove the machine?
When you remove the machine is completely up to you. It can be used in conjunction with gas and air to provide effective pain relief, and can be used for the duration of your labour. Often the effectiveness of the TENS machine is only realised once it has been removed.
What if I go over my due date?
Do not worry as no extra charges will be incurred. When you hire the TENS you will be given a return date of 3 weeks after your due date. This should give enough time if your baby is overdue. If you do require more time please just let us know.
Try to get help when positioning the pads. The electrode placement pads need to be positioned 4/5cm above and below an imaginary line drawn with the navel. 2/3cm on either side of the spine.
• Do not use before 37 weeks of pregnancy
• TENS must not be used by patient using a demand type pacemaker.
• Pregnant women and patients who have any heart disease or epilepsy should seek medical advice before using TENS.
• Never use TENS to mask undiagnosed pain as this could require urgent treatment and do not use in water
• TENS should NOT be used when driving or operating dangerous machinery
Terms and Conditions of hire:
1. The Labour TENS should only be used in accordance with the instructions provided and only by the Customer named on the submitted form.
2. The effectiveness of the TENS machine in your labour is not guaranteed.
3. The Labour TENS must NOT be used by anyone fitted with a cardiac pacemaker, who has a heart disease or suffers from epilepsy. If in doubt please consult a medical advisor prior to use.
4. The Labour TENS must not be used until the pregnancy has reached 37 weeks gestation or following advice from your midwife.
5. Failure to return the Obi TENs by the ‘Due back date’ may result in the Customer being charged £5 for every week over and above the hire period until the TENS unit is returned. If the unit is not returned for any reason the customer will be charged for that machine (see 7).
6. When returning the TENS unit the Customer must retain the certificate of postage for 3 months. In the event that the TENS is not received back at PAS premises, the certificate of postage must be produced. Failure to do so renders the customer liable for the full retail value of the TENS unit.
7. In the event of damage to, or loss of the TENS unit by the customer, the full retail value less the hire charge is payable to PAS Ltd by the customer.
8. Non-use of the hired TENS machine is entirely at the discretion of the customer and no refund will apply once the machine has been dispatched.
9. TENS machines are fully tested prior to dispatch. However, the liability of the TENS unit shall not exceed the hire charge and we strongly advise a practice run to ensure you are happy with the hire.
10. The customer should check the contents of the hire pack upon receipt and familiarise herself with the TENS machine and the instructions. The customer must advise PAS Ltd of any problems whatsoever immediately. PAS Ltd accepts no responsibility where the customer fails to do so and renders it impossible for PAS Ltd to take any corrective action.